Juicy Tomatoes

Monday, January 28, 2008

OLDER WOMEN IN THE WORLD

You know how it is when you’re vacationing in another country watching the passing parade and the women seem assured and confident? You start to think that they’re probably your age but somehow they’re doing it better. Or they at least seem to be more visible than American women.
Recently I tried this idea out on a Parisian-born woman of a certain age who lives in California and she said she’d much rather be here than there. Because even though French women continue to get appreciative looks as they age they don’t have the same opportunities we do here.

A Belgian woman I met at a book reading said the same. She said some of her European friends would never have dared to go back to school, change careers, move to another city with the ease that American women do at any age.

I love it when stereotypes come crashing down.

On my Juicy Tomatoes radio show which you can hear at http://www.juicytomatoes.com/ I talked to five women about cultural differences experienced by middle aged and older women.
Tell me what you’ve noticed.

Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home