Juicy Tomatoes

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

ARE WE STILL IN THE MOVIES?

When Sally Field's character on "Brothers and Sisters" had a 60th birthday party I celebrated. As did I when Helen Mirren won an Oscar for "The Queen" and when I read that Diane Keaton is coming out with a new film and so is Susan Sarandon.

And this: Jill Clayburgh could end up playing Pat Nixon in the same film that Meryl Streep plays Martha Mitchell. It makes you want to cheer.

These are my contemporaries. As long as they're still getting juicy parts, so will we all.

Meryl Streep told Entertainment Weekly that Hollywood should be grateful to women her age because they're the ones who continue to buy tickets and go to movies.
"They damn well better market to us," said Meryl. "and give us something to watch."
And she told a British reporter that she expects better parts – "roles that do not depict women of my age as either dotty or horrible."

I love it when Meryl talks like that.

On this week's Juicy Tomatoes show (www.juicytomatoes.com) I talked to Diane McCurdy who is a film reviewer and teaches film. We talked about movies that know how to treat a Tomato.
What have you been watching in the movies or on TV lately that let a 50-plus woman be herself, laugh lines and all?.

2 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I thought the interview with Jacquelyn Wells was powerful, honest and tender all at the same time. Great job.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Judy said...

As a actress over 50 in L.A. I more than sympathize with these stars who have reached Hollywood No-No ages as well. And I've joined with three of my fellow actresses in an effort to change the media's take on us..the largest growing group of people in this country, with a huge percentage of moola!Check us out: www.inthetrenchesproductions.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home