Juicy Tomatoes

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

PASSING ON THE GOOD STUFF

I think the word mentoring is pretty boring. I prefer to call it passing on the good stuff, which from our generation to a younger one can include everything from how to put down a sexist jokester in the office to getting rid of the guilt for hiring someone to clean your house.

And there’s all that professional wisdom. My first newspaper editor convinced me that developing a personal style of writing was better than the reporting formula I learned in journalism school. Writing style is still one of my favorite things to discuss with new writers.

It is shocking to realize how quickly you go from being the fresh-faced new talent to the wise woman with institutional memory. But it’s exciting to work with younger people because it keeps you relevant, visible and in demand.

We should be proud of all that we have taken on in our professional and personal lives as women. We’re pretty wonderful role models. Some of us can remember when high school advisors declared the most dependable career choices for women were nursing and teaching. And look at us now – rock stars and CEOs and a presidential candidate front-runner.

I talked about mentoring in my Juicy Tomatoes show (www.juicytomatoes.com) this week, discussing with a few contemporaries what we have to give and what we get back when we advise, befriend and support younger women.

It may not keep you 35, but it does keep you current. And if you’re lucky they’ll share their new playlist for your iPod.
Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home