Juicy Tomatoes

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

GRAY PRIDE

It’s being called the Gray Wars, although the battle is more within ourselves, rather than on the streets - that big decision to cover the gray or not. Since more than 60 percent of American women color their hair today, gray hair is actually considered the unconventional choice.

That makes rebels out of those who don’t, which is kind of a nice way to spin it. Instead of women surrendering to their destiny, they are society’s mavericks: gray and proud.

I talked to four women in their 50s and 60s about what they decided to do with their hair color and why for my Juicy Tomatoes radio show. Two of them started going prematurely gray in their 30s. One of them steadfastly colored it until she was in her 50s and then decided her natural silver was more "her."

Another stayed gray through her 30s and 40s but when she hit her late 50s, opted for some honey tones.

It’s a tough call. We will know that gray is okay when we get our first commercial with the woman looking into her mirror and exclaiming. “Oh honey, come look. My first gray hair.”
Tell me what you think.
Susan
www.juicytomatoes.com

2 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in my early 30's and getting more and more gray hair, and on the one hand I feel tempted to dye my hair, but on the other hand, I'm worried about the health effects of hair dye! I keep reading that it's really not good for your body. So for now, I'm keeping my gray hair.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I am 44 and have had silver hair for the last 10 years. Recently I have begun to be taken for older than I am, until people really look at my face. I just think we aren't used to women not coloring their hair.

But it's coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home